Tuesday, June 14, 2005

How much strength do I need?

I was sitting down the other day thinking about Doug. My emotions on the subject kind of ebb and flow, and I was having a bit of a down day. No reason in particular, nothing new was happening, it just was one of those days. Those of you who have had them know what I mean.

So anyways, I was sitting there thinking to myself "I don't have enough strength to handle this". And in that quiet moment, I could hear what I presume was God's voice answering "No, you don't". (For the record, it sounded nothing like James Earl Jones) So I asked the obvious question - "How can I get more strength". You might be able to see where this is going, but I didn't. The words next in my head were "I can do everything through him who gives me strength". So, I asked for strength. And I still didn't feel I had strength to make it through what I was feeling. That's when I put 3 and 1 together to get 4[1]. I don't have enough strength to make it on my own. That's the whole point. On my own. If I rely on my own strength, I'm going to come up short, and it's going to be very messy. But I'm not on my own. I've got God on my side.

And that's where all of you have come in. We've got countless friends and family (and even aquaintances) who are praying for us, and who are doing little things here and there to make a difference in our lives. You guys are the hands of God reaching into our lives and supplying strength. Thanks.

[1] I was reminded by Gerry that when Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego were thrown into the furnace, God didn't give them the strength to just walk on out. He sent help right into the furnace with them. They weren't alone, and neither am I. [2]

[2] Is there some sort of rule about using footnotes in blogs?

No comments: