Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Today I 'm ANGRY

Today I am ANGRY. I am MAD. And I'm a little ROYALLY TWEAKED too. I know it's poor form to type in ALL CAPS because it looks like you're shouting.

BUT I DON'T CARE. I AM MAD MAD MAD MAD MAD.

We accepted the referral for Doug to be cognitively assessed because we were told that this would be a good way to figure out the best techniques to help him - if indeed he needed it. Somehow along the way, this turned into a full out Autism test - and NOBODY BOTHERED TO TELL US. We've all just been through 3 very stress packed days of having Doug's behaviour picked apart for what appears to be the sole purpose of slapping a label on him.

At the end of what was a very stressful THREE HOUR interview today, I told the interviewers that we were told that this was to be a general cognitive assessment, and we really didn't know why they were spending so much time on the autism component. The look on their faces made me want to get up and throw up. Judging by the look on their faces and the quick shared look between them it was bloody obvious that they were there solely to make an autism/no autism decision. One of two things seems to have happened. Either someone mixed up the paperwork along the way, or we were railroaded. Neither of them makes me feel particularly happy about the medical system right now.

Did I mention that I am MAD?

Now, I don't have a problem with autism. It's not that at all. I'm steamed about "the system" adding more and more labels to him that are going to get him stereotyped in school, and amongst his friends. And to have it done without us being warned about it is simply appalling. You can only imagine the stress that we are under right now.

Now I typically don't call doctors on things. I figure, they've got all the schooling, they probably know what they are talking about. This time I'm going to be more assertive. I've got a few questions about this whole process that I am getting answers for. We've got the "results" session tomorrow. Maybe this whole process is a wake up call for me to be less trusting. I don't know.

Those of you with mp3 players can cue up "Hair of the Dog" by Nazareth tomorrow at 3:00 and follow along with our appointment at home. Crank it up loud - I know I will.

No comments: