Monday, December 11, 2006

Life in the Valley

Sunday at church was the "snow delayed" sermon on stress that is brought on by the "Dark Valleys of Life". It was a talk aimed at how to keep hope alive when travelling through some of life's darker moments. A good friend of ours also shared about their experience of losing a child at childbirth, and how they coped.

It was a very very emotional service - especially for one held on the second Sunday of advent!

I came away with several somewhat random insights - from the perspective of someone who is walking through a valley right now. (please excuse the excessive use of metaphor here - once I get started...)

1) When you are dealing with life's challenges on the valley floor, you can't just "will yourself" out of the valley. There is no way that you can make yourself happy, and make it all go away.

2) Looking back, I can see where I've tried to escape. I've climbed and crawled, and pushed myself up the valley walls towards the high ground where I can see everyone else standing in the sun and enjoying life's majestic views. I've beaten myself black and blue climbing the steep walls only to have the ground give out beneath my feet and send me tumbling face down in the mud below. Those are the lowest of the low days.

3) While the views from the top are the most majestic, it is the valley where things grow. Alongside the river on the valley floor is where the fertile land is. It is where God tends his garden, and produces the rich variety of fruit.

4) I am not alone. I could see on Sunday by the tears in the eyes all over the church that the valley floor is covered in footprints.

My path lies along the valley floor. I did not choose it, but I must choose to walk it. This valley will one day end - be it on this earth or beyond. Until then, I will take each day as it comes, one step at a time. I will stop to smell the flowers and listen to the gentle running water. I will enjoy the panoramic view of the majestic mountain peaks - but from the path laid out before me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there - I don't know if you'll remember me. I was one of those many appointments in the early days! Just came across your blog and wanted to let you know that I appreciate your honesty. It is so important for all of us in the "field" to better understand what families are going through. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Best wishes to the family - especially to that sweet little boy of yours.

Cora (Infant Development Programme)

Cam said...

Thanks Cora. We certainly remember you.

In fact, in the midst of all those appointments, yours was a massive breath of fresh air. You called and just plain offered to help. No appointments, no massive forms, just the offer to help figure out which programs fit where.

Keep up the good work. You are making a difference in the lives of people when they need it the most.