Monday, December 4, 2006

Cooling Off Period

Well - I guess I shouldn't leave people hanging like that. I was sure steamed though - I'm feeling a bit better now. (not happy, but less angry)

The assessment came to the point where the various parties involved "were unable to reach a consensus", and want to re-evaluate Doug at age 6.

So what does that mean to me? It means the medical system has taken another round out of me. I'm feeling a little more beat up, and a little more overwhelmed - but not entirely without hope. Doug is feeling better too, and I can only speculate what it would have been like had he been operating at full health.

But you know what? It's over. I can lock up that concern for another couple of years.

Allison had a good comparison the other day. She said she felt like we were on a submarine. We'd go into one "compartment" to deal with an issue, and do our best to stem the leaking. Then, when time was up and we were onto the next unrelated appointment, we jump out of that compartment, slam the water-tight door, and dive into the next compartment. We block everything from the previous appointment out.

What this means is that we are currently not flooding the whole submarine at once. Individual compartments are still leaking, but we can lie on the floor wet and exhausted - but still afloat.

I'm hoping that we will have fewer appointments as everybody gets into the Christmas season, and a little more time to refocus our lives again. The submarine must move forward.

2 comments:

Sister C said...

Wow Cam you have gone through a lot. Say Hi to Allison. Thanks for the comment on my blog. Glad you did so I could find your blog aswell.

Cam said...

I figured it was time to leave a non-anonymous comment on your blog - I've gotten so much out of it! Ben's is a little too long for me to read without falling asleep. :)