Thursday, October 25, 2007

I just want to play with my friends

This week I went to a PAC (parent advisory council) meeting. Doug's school has a rather old playground, and the PAC has been fund raising for a while now for a new one. This meeting was to make a few decisions about what type of equipment to buy.

Seeing as Doug will be one of the users of this equipment, I went to the meeting to see what was planned.

Underneath the surface I had a slight feeling of apprehension. What do I do if the equipment they're looking at isn't "Doug friendly"? How big a priority is accessibility? The school playground is where many of the deepest friendships in your life are cemented. How many of us have friends from "way back" whose relationship has survived the fickle sands of time? All due to the hours of playing on the monkey bars, adventure playground and soccer fields. It's pretty important. On the other hand, who am I to hold hostage the selection of new equipment just because my ONE child can't use it? That isn't fair at all either. This stuff serves hundreds of other kids a year, and will long outlast Doug's time at school.

How can I strike a balance between making my point and being a team player? Do I really have to prepare myself to go into another battle on Doug's behalf? Don't get me wrong, I'll gladly do it - my trusty shield may be a little dented by now, but I'm still game.

It turns out that my worries were all for naught. The PAC has a Recreational Therapist (I hope I got that right) on board with the planning. She's been considering accessibility for all sorts of disabilities, and assisting in the planning to make something that is fun for everyone - including those who come with their own needs. The PAC members continually considered the accessibility angle, and demonstrated an extremely inclusive approach. It looks like I can sit this battle out. The enemy - if any - is outnumbered by friends of Doug here.

You can talk all you want about accessibility. Surface type, transition points, upper and lower body equipment, play paths, etc. But when it all comes down to it, I think I can succinctly voice my opinion on what type of equipment to get:
I just want Doug to be able to play with his friends.

No comments: