Friday, May 8, 2009

The Little Things in Life

Kids, cover your ears. What I'm about to talk about is something you will find deeply disturbing. The next paragraph is for the grown ups...

Allison and I just came back from spending a week in Disney World. Staying "on property", living and breathing "mouse" for a whole week. Without the kids. Yes, you heard me right, we went to Disney World for an entire week and left the kids at home. It can be done, and it was wonderful. Most people we told this to were somewhat incredulous that we would even think of doing this - for about 5 seconds - then they started to smile, and say "I wish I could do that"...

(ok kids, you can read again, the "disturbing" part is over)

One of the things you can't help but notice in this environment is that Disney knows details. They spare no effort or creativity is making sure that the entire experience is totally immersive. Every corner of the property is meticulously decorated and themed. When standing in line for the Mt. Everest line, it's often hard to tell which part of the "museum" you're in is real artifacts and which are fictional. Even the ropes and barriers to separate the line look like they are straight from the Himalayas. And as you roam the grounds, you can't help but marvel at the attention to detail. The employees, rather Cast Members, are all fluent in the language and mannerisms of their particular attraction. Their enthusiasm and commitment to even the small details of language and actions helps to pull it all together. And when you think of it, the details - The Little Things - are what make it Disney World, and not just another theme park.

Life, I'm discovering, is kind of like that. We focus on the big things, the attractions, and move from ride to ride with as much ruthless effeciency as we can manage. We are always looking forward to the ride that is coming, or looking backwards and what we just finished. Always impatient for what is yet to come. But how often do I find myself just looking around and admiring that Disney Detail that surrounds me? The attractions themselves last but a few moments. Most of life is spent standing in line. Fortunately, we are surrounded by marvelous details - meticulously crafted for our benefit. We need to take the time to soak them in, and explore where we are. Today.

Some of the attractions that I'm standing in line for aren't really all that much fun. I'm not looking forward to getting to the front of the line. When I look down the road at the "milestones" of DMD, life can get a little heavy. But this is a line up that I can't get out of. There's no emergency exit here. But our Great Creator has spent extra time on The Little Things here. When I pull myself together enough to look around, I see that he has put many more equisite details in this line than in any other I've stood in. The simple experience of being here is moving beyond words. Cast Members help out well beyond the call of duty - and I thank you all. This line up is designed for right now. The ride can wait - while I marvel in The Little Things.

2 comments:

Sister C said...

I love it how God can literally use anything he wants to speak to us.

Peter said...

"Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes."
Matthew 6:34 MSG