Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Why Am I Doing This?

I've been wondering ever since I decided to hold the Ride for Doug why I'm doing it. What are my motives? It certainly isn't that I have too much spare time!

And I'm not sure I've figured out. I've got a few thoughts, and I'm sure that they all contribute. In no particular order:
  • I want to give back. Helping others is one of the best ways to stop thinking about yourself. Sometimes we have the skills and abilities to help with other people's problems even when we can't get our own crap together.
  • I want to raise awareness of what Muscular Dystrophy is, and how to contribute to finding a cure.
  • I want to feel the support of another community - the riding community. For my own strength.
  • I want to go riding with some friends.
  • I want to give Doug a chance to be the centre of attention around a bunch of motorcycles, and give him an event to look forward to each year.

I'm sure there's more. But I'm not sure I need to figure out why anymore. I'm starting to spread the word, and it won't be long until the "why" is quickly drowned out by the "how".

No comments: