Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Needed - One Administrative Assistant

I think I've figured out what type of help is the most needed for families dealing with long term disabilities. An Admin Assistant.

The amount of paperwork that is generated by each appointment is remarkable. They've all got their own forms, and they all ask almost the same questions. Then there is the scheduling.

Working all of these different appointments is a scheduling nightmare. I think this might be a key contributor to many of the stressors we parents of disabled children face. We want the absolute best for our kids - so the schedule is important. But I'm booking things into May and June on my calendar right now - and Outlook is already advising me that I have double booked myself twice! That just boggles the mind. And none of it can be simple, everything has to be booked around work, and school, and the occasional social appointment that sneaks in. (I can see these being eliminated soon due to the amount of energy it takes to make happen) We spent a day and a half getting ready for, and booking the outcomes from, our one day at Children's Hospital yesterday.

To give you an example of the types of things we're up against: Doug is supposed to see the paediatrician every 6 months, and Children's Hospital every 6 months. They are supposed to be offset, so he's seeing one of them every 3 months. The paediatrician doesn't book appointments 6 months in advance, he only does 3. So, today we called for an appointment. Since our last appointment was about 7 months ago, our referral has expired - meaning we need to book another appointment with our family doctor to get a referral to be booked into our regular 6 month cycle.

Anyhow - if there's anyone out there listening from BC Medical or the CCRA (or whatever the heck the tax people are called now) - there's got to be some sort of admin assistant allowance for families for this. 'Cause I don't think I can manage this on my own.

No comments: