Sunday, March 25, 2007

Dark Side of the Moon

The Dark Side of the Moon. When the Apollo astronauts went around the back of the moon, they were completely cut off from Mission Control. They were completely blocked from all radio signals from anywhere on earth for what was for the crew - an eternity.

This last week has been our own Dark Side of the Moon experience. We unplugged from the world for about 4 days - and wonder of wonders - society survived without us. There's a lesson here about the difference between how badly we think we are needed, and how badly we really are needed. It certainly did NOT seem like an eternity to me. I could have done with a few more days of sleeping until noon, but who couldn't?

Part of our vacation involved taking in "The Dark Side of the Rainbow". This is where you sync up Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" album with "The Wizard of Oz" DVD. (note: iPod users - this has to be done with gapless playback to make it work best). It was a very trippy experience to watch the movie with only the subtitles on, and listen to an album that may very well have been written as a soundtrack for it...

As nice as it was, I'll admit to missing my kids and my e-mail. Strangely, the phone not so much. :)

I'm looking to use this relaxation time as a springboard to make a few course alterations in my attitude. I'm going to try to sweat the little stuff less. I'm not an uptight person (usually), but I'm going to put some more perspective on things. I'm also going to be more positive. I had a chance to reflect on how I interact with life, (and my family), and feel that I need to spend more time on the positives of life, and less on the negatives. I need to be an example for my kids.

Anyhow - I'm yet again rambling. I'll leave with the "two thumbs up" recommendation for Dark Side of the Rainbow. Thanks Darren for the suggestion!

No comments: